Princess Time Toys Blog

Friday, August 15, 2008

An Honestly Sweet Memory of 1976

Did you ever smell an odor that took you right back to a time in history you'd long forgotten about? It happens to me all the time. I have the nose of a Bloodhound. Unfortunately, it works for both pleasant and unpleasant smells. For example, I can smell milk a day past its "sell by date", through the refrigerator door, and one room away. Well, ok, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much!

Anyway, I became an Avon Representative yesterday and I excitedly combed through all the books and catalogs they provided.

I smelled it before I saw it, the ad for Avon's Sweet Honesty Cologne Spray with a scratch and sniff sticker. I was immediately transported back to Christmas of 1976. I was 15 at the time and babysitting full-time for a family who I thought was rich. I know now they were middle class, but to someone who's father had had Tuberculosis twice, resulting in two one-year stays in a sanitarium (can you believe they did that back then!), they seemed to be millionaires.

They presented me with a small, wrapped package the day before Christmas Eve. I was so excited. Inside was the cutest little bottle of cologne, my first ever. It was shaped like a Christmas stocking and was made of green glass with a red screw on top. I fell in love immediately with it and treasured it. Silly, I know, but it meant so much to be remembered.

Strange how that smell 32-years later can transport me back to the Christmas of my 15th year. Wow, what power. I probably still have that bottle, tucked away in a box in the garage with all my other High School memories. Why'd I keep it all these years? I'm not sure, but may be because someone cared enough to think of a young girl who had a really hard childhood. Special hanks to the Benke's for making me feel special and for giving me this memory.

Connie, The Queen

I found a photo of the bottle on a collectibles site - it's exactly as I remembered it, box and all. It's practically an antique - like me :)

No comments:

PRINCESS TIME TOYS

Our business blog has moved! Visit our blog at Princess Time Toys Blog where we share sale, discount, free shipping offers, and more! You can also shop our online store for all things princess! Dress-up, Halloween costumes, toys, accessories, and more.



PERSONAL BLOG



MiscFinds4u is the work of a middle-aged mom with grown children, who enjoys cooking, baking, home DIY remodeling, gardening, and blogging. Specializing in Once a Month (OAMC) and bulk freezer cooking for two for meat eaters and vegetarians. Specializing in product and online shopping reviews as well as contests and giveaways. We work with Disney, Warner Bros, and other companies to bring you fun prizes.